Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2012

Henry Milker again

I've been seriously considering getting a milking machine.  Another goat addict has a surge milker she'll let me use, but I have to find a vacuum pump.  Finding one is not a problem; finding one I can afford is a bit harder.

It's getting on in the year and as usual, my hands are feeling the strain of hand milking.  I'd put away my Henry Milker, since I didn't like the effects it was having on Beatrice's udder.  Today I found it, and wondered whether I could reverse Bea's milk production and start using it again.  She's on once a day milking now, and is giving only 4-5 pounds a day, a little over half a gallon.  As I looked at the teat cup, though, my misgivings returned.  If I can just find a way to make a soft gasket for the top of the teat cup, I might try it again.  Until I do that, I don't want to risk it.  The Henry Milker pulls her teats into the teat cup, but more than that, it pulls part of the mammary tissue as well, so one side of her udder is damaged.  So far, I haven't found that way. I even emailed Mike Henry to see if he had any ideas, but I never heard from him.

I think it's time to get just bite the bullet (sigh...) and buy the vacuum pump.


1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have exactly what you need. I also answer my email every single night, sometimes until midnight. My email address is mike@henrymilker.com

    Email your name and address and I'll send you a teat cup insert for free, you and your goat will love it.
    Mike Henry
    The Henry Milker

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is just so I'm aware of your comment.